Saturday, May 31, 2014

Day 34 - Sat., May 31 from Triacastella to Sarria - 11.6 miles

Started this day like usual with coffee but Casa David included fresh squeezed orange juice, toast and yogurt. As we walked out of town, I asked a couple if they were on Trail Journals. I had been reading their journal and we have been in the same town on the same day but I had not met them. So I talked briefly with Mike and Nancy Friends from Arizona. 


We had quite a climb today right from the get go. Some mornings begin with a lot of people on the trail and so it was this day until the climb helped space us out a little. 

It was a sunny and clear morning and the views were wonderful. I relished them because they will be the last from so high up. Our high point today was Alto Riocabo at 2,970 ft. 

On the way we walked through some rough terrain that reminded me of the Appalachian Trail. 


A rest stop where most removed their jackets because the climb had us sweating. 



We could see our destination long before we arrived. There is a stork in this picture - the white spot on the right. We saw two today on the ground eating and one flying near the nest. They still intrigue me. 

This is our room tonight. The walls are so thin I can hear every word of the American woman next door. She is currently talking on her cell phone describing her day. I am putting in my ear plugs. 

We have 83.2 miles to Santiago and will no doubt come home earlier than planned. We are looking forward to our return. Stoney is done with 'mystery meals.' We are both relishing not having to move from bed to bed every day and wondering who will be on the other side of the wall. 

Attended Mass at Santa Marina this evening. 




It is 9 pm. Stoney is fast asleep.  I can still hear the woman next door even with my ear plugs in. She is loud and has been on the phone over 30 minutes. We are sharing a bathroom so I expect after the phone call, she will make some more noise. Oh well...one more reason to appreciate home. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment