Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 27 - May 24 - Enjoying Astorga - just 5 miles which doesn't count

Slept well but had a bit of a headache in the night after 2 glasses of white wine with dinner; that was a lot of wine for me. I won't do that again. It went away without Tylenol which can be dangerous on top of wine. Woke up about 6:40 am and was happy not to have to pack up and head out. 

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the hotel. I lingered because I get the most bars for internet speed down there and I wanted to get pics off my ipad. Stoney walked around this town of 12,000 which seemed like a ghost town with only peregrinos/peregrinas up and about at this hour on a Saturday. 

We walked around and went in St Francis Church when it opened. It is the first church we passed when we came into Astorga but at that time Stoney did not want to visit. I insisted we go back this morning. It is only 2 blocks from where we are staying. 







Next up just downthestreet was the Romam Museum. Astorga is built upon a Roman city and you can see the ruins in certain areas. 

From inside the museum. 




Next was the Chocolate Museum. Astorga was the first city in Europe to produce chocolate and 5 families continue the tradition. We watched a film on the process. 


At the end we tasted a few samples. I would never pass up chocolate. 
Walked around town some more and found the yellow arrows to take us on our way tomorrow morning. 

Went to a local favorite Italian restaurant for a very late lunch or very early dinner. They stopped serving at 4 pm and would open at 7 pm. Mass was 8 pm so we ate at 4 pm. Stoney had 4 cheese pizza and I had tortellini with carbonara sauce. Delicious and too much. So Stoney had some of mine and we have 4 slices of pizza tomorrow for lunch. 

St. Bartolome for Mass. It is a small church and felt intimate compared to the big cathedrals. 

Interesting side altar. I think it was made of silver. 

Small window kept drawing my attention. 

I am the vine and you are the branches... Without me you can do nothing. 

It is 9:30 pm and pSt time for lights out. Stoney is already asleep. 



No comments:

Post a Comment