Friday, May 30, 2014

Day 33 - Friday, May 30 from O'Cebreiro to Triacastela - 13.6 miles


After coffee and toast we started for the trail and saw a young couple heading to the road because after all the rain, they did not want to deal with the mud. Stoney agreed and we hit the road. The mileage would be no different and the walking would be easier. At this stage, I just want to finish so no argument from me. The red stake to the left is a road edge marker when snow is very deep. We just had fog. 

It cleared after walking about 45 minutes and then off and on fog would come in for awhile and so the miles went by. 

When we arrived at Alto de San Roque to see the medieval pilgrim looking out over Galicia and it's deep valleys it was beautiful and then
We walked on. 
We had a short but steep climb up to the highest spot on the Camino in Galicia at 4,380 feet. It was made more pleasurable because we walked and talked with the young couple we followed out of town early in the morning. They were from the Netherlands. 

We stopped for a short break (less than 15 min.) and I had a Coke and Stoney had a coffee. At Biduedo we left the road and began to descend more steeply. Going down gets really tiring for me because I have to concentrate on my foot placement to avoid slipping and falling. Sounds like I am complaining but actually I am grateful for knees that have held up. 






We walked through some aromatic cow country today. There was a woman leading about 6 of these and we were up close and personal. It was funny to watch them turn their head toward a passing pilgrim. When she called their name, they would straighten up and keep following. I think her husband was heading up the rear. 

These were hanging above the muddy cow path. Can you imagine the work to get clothes clean here?


Just a little before Triacastela we stopped in awe to view the 700 or 800 year old tree. 



I am always tired after walking for 5 hours so it was great to see our abode for the night, Casa David. 


Above my bed was this picture.














No comments:

Post a Comment