Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Days 8 & 9 - Monday, May 5 and Tuesday, May 6

Day 8 - Monday, May 5 - Estella to Los Arcos,  13 miles - 7:30 am to --1 pm

 It was quite early in the morning when we passed by and I did not want to wait in line for a taste of wine. I think there was also a water spicket. So I took some pics and we continued on.
 A colorful welcome to this town.
 Back into the countryside
 A fuente where we could fill up our water bottles if needed.
 Trees are few and far between and we stopped under one for a short break and looked at the lone tree in the field. I had a little snack.

And this man was out working and drove by us while we were taking the break.
 
Vineyards and grain growing all around
Camino art ...I wondered whose boot it had been and who put in the fresh flowers.


Feeling lousy from cold virus. Had a Sherpa (a company called Jacotrans) take my pack to Los Arcos. We were a bit apprehensive about leaving my pack at the hotel to be picked up and transported further down the road. It was waiting in the hotel lobby when we arrived. The cost was 7 Euros. I put a lot of Stoney's gear into my pack too which lightened his load. He is still dealing with the virus too. We have met many who have the cold. It was a way to keep moving forward when we would rather be resting. 

The weather was clear and sunny. We walked around vineyards, olive groves and hay or wheat fields. Temp reached 80 degrees and there were only a few shade trees so we did not tarry. 

Nearing Los Arcos we came upon a woman bent over her poles. I had seen her earlier in the day when she was moving slowly.  I asked if she was OK and she said no. She did not know how she would make it to Los Arcos but she had no choice. She may have pulled a hamstring muscle. I walked with her and in 15 minutes or so a man in a truck - a farmer, I think, drove up and saw her in distress and said he would give us a ride. Diane from New York quickly accepted and got in. I asked if she felt safe and she said she had no choice. I prayed for her as I continued the walk into town.
I took the picture below thinking maybe I could capture the license plate number in case I heard someone was missing from the Camino.  


And shortly after taking this pic, we arrived in town. I was relieved to see her there looking for an albergue. I hope she will be able to continue her walk. 

We took a left turn here and found Hostal Ezequiel easily. Yes!  My pack was waiting in the lobby. I took a shower and got off my feet for a couple of hours. It was a quiet place.  I was grateful for a private bedroom and bathroom.

We walked around town, prayed the rosary with the local women at the church and attended 8 pm mass. Received our 2nd pilgrim blessing after mass. This pic was taken during the Rosary but many local people attended Mass as well as many Pilgrims.  The signing of the parishioners really touches my heart and spirit.


Had pizza for dinner and went to bed. Slept well. 

Day 9 - Tuesday, May 6 - Los Arcos to Viana, 10.1 miles from 7 am to 11:30 am. 

Second day for Sherpa service. I can do the miles easier/faster during this cold virus without my pack. We shortened the miles on this day and that helped too. Most of the day was fairly flat and we made good time. 

 Early in the morning I walked with Mary Jo who we had seen on our first day.
Nick went on ahead. I enjoyed walking and talking with her. She hopes to average 10 mile days and go all the way to Santiago. She worked over 40 yrs. as an ER nurse and is 69 yrs. old. 

 It is always good to see the next town and know in a short while you will be walking through it or maybe it's the destination for the day.
 I suppose this man had walked from town for a little exercise and maybe to people watch ...
 Evergreen trees but they were not looking too healthy ...

 The designs of fields fascinated me
 Of course, I love flowers and so whenever given the chance to snap one, I did.


 A rosebush planted at the beginning of this row of grape vines.  I wondered why? Maybe just for its beauty or in memory of a loved one, or to add color to the vineyard ....
 Working in the vineyard ...
We are staying in a beautiful hotel tonight, La Casa de Pujadas. Grateful for another day on the Camino and for a restful place for the night.

We had our laundry done; what a wonderful treat after washing clothes in a sink basin. I rested most of the afternoon. Uploaded pics and updated blog and journal. Walked around town, watched little children play in the plaza and went to mass at Santa Maria.


 After mass we received another Pilgrim blessing. He asked our country of origin. Then he sprinkled us (about 20) individually with holy water.. Next he laid hands on each of our heads and prayed. Very special. 

A 14 mile day tomorrow. It's 11 pm and way past my bed time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment