Friday, April 11, 2014

Mystery Of The Seed


Photo from Bloominthyme.wordpress.com







"The initial mystery that attends any journey is: How did the traveler reach his starting point in the first place?" ~ Louise Bogan, US poet, 1897-1970








How did we arrive at this place of pilgrimage?  Stoney's short answer -- "My wife wanted to do it and I'm coming along for the exercise and the challenge."

For me the seed was planted in late 2005 when I read a book by Joyce Rupp, Walk in a Relaxed Manner - Life Lessons from the Camino. I found the book when I went to her website and discovered she had written a new book. I think her first book, Fresh Bread, was published in the late 80's and I have read almost every book she has written. I say almost because when I went to her website to provide the link above, I discovered My Soul Feels Lean and it has been ordered. Over the years I have given many of her books as gifts to friends and and on occasion people I've met through hospice ministry, prison ministry (inmates and volunteers) and hospital ministry.

From the Introduction to Walk In A Relaxed Manner she writes: "Seeds of the future plant themselves in our hearts every day." I had never heard of the Camino but from the very beginning of this book, I knew I was in for a treat. "Each of us has a camino, a road of life. This road allows us access to the spiritual richness of those who traveled before us and those who travel with us now. All loving persons we encounter leave a touch of their positive, growth-filled goodness. We can slip into this energy as easily as my hand slipped into the deeply indented print in the marble pillar of St. James Cathedral." I slipped easily into the energy of Sr. Joyce's words and relished each chapter. I folded down many page corners and underlined passages that spoke to me.  At the time it never crossed my mind that one day I would want to walk El Camino but it was a book that I could use in my own camino, my daily road of life. Over the years I have read the book two more times and the passages underlined too many times to count. After finishing it, I loaned it to my friend, Nona, and she really enjoyed it too.

Nona and I have been friends since 1986; we met by attending daily Mass. I would sit next to her. We grew closer when we both became involved in Kairos, a nondenominational prison ministry. We served on many teams over a 6 yr. period and twice a year we went inside a maximum security womens' prison to participate in a 4 day retreat. We returned to the prison every month on a Saturday for a day of reflection. 

So the seed was planted by reading Walk In A Relaxed Manner and watered by meeting and visiting with Nona's nephew, Frank, in the Summer of 2007. He and his wife stop to visit Nona either enroute to Florida or on their return home. Frank was the first person I met who had walked the Camino. He shared his experience and we looked at all of his wonderful pictures. I could feel his joy and excitement as he told us about his journey on the Camino. But walking 500 miles seemed daunting and although I had enjoyed hearing about the Camino, it was not on my bucket list.  I had never backpacked or done any long distance hiking. In looking back now though I can see that the seed had expanded beneath the soil and was beginning to grow small roots.

Nona relaxing before the retreat
As an aside, Nona and I traveled to North Carolina in November of 2007 to attend a retreat given by Sr. Joyce Rupp. One of the desires of my heart was to attend a retreat given by her because her books had given me much spiritual nourishment. In fact,  I considered her a friend I had never met. I didn't actually expect to meet her during the retreat but we bumped into her on the hotel elevator going down for breakfast. Nona introduced herself and mentioned her relationship with Frank and Sue. Sr. Joyce and Frank were friends and had a working relationship as well. She invited us to join her for breakfast. The retreat was a very special time for Nona and me as well as the women from the local church. What a blessing! It's true --"Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart." ~ Psalm 37:4.

My husband and I began day hiking in State parks in Georgia and we enjoyed it. We have hiked in the Smoky Mountains and twice hiked up to Mt. LeConte to spend the night in one of the primitive cabins. We love that place! In the Fall of 2012 I went on my first and only week long backpacking trip with a group from fitpacking.com.  We began at Amicolola Falls State Park, Georgia on the approach trail to Springer Mountain, the Southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail and over the course of 5 1/2 days hiked to Neels Gap.  It was hard work but I learned a lot from the guides and decided I would like to do more backpacking. The roots of my Camino were growing stronger and I think on that week-long trip the seed of my pilgrimage began to break ground and reach for the sun. Yet, I did not fully recognize it.

In December of 2012 I went back and forth between planning to walk the Camino or the Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail won out. At 63 years of age I wasn't getting any younger and I decided to plan for a thru-hike of 2,185 miles. I didn't have to leave the United States and if it didn't work out, I knew Stoney would come get me and bring me home. It would not involve a flight to and from Spain and I wouldn't have to brush up on Spanish. However,  I had some trail language to learn ... the story of my hike on the Appalachian Trail can be found here.

My time on the Appalachian Trail nourished the seed of my Camino; the plant sprung up from the earth, was watered abundantly, nourished by the sun, withstood the storms, grew strong and produced the desire to walk the Camino. "Ultimately, it's not about leaving or staying, but opening the door that waits between our soul and the world; the door storms, human and natural, always close and which truth and love always reopen. In opening that door, no matter how often it closes, we are challenged to live the one life we are given." ~ Mark Nepo, Seven Thousand Ways To Listen-Staying Close To What Is Sacred. The door to the Camino has opened for us and we are grateful.

I know I am too wordy but if you've made it this far, you might enjoy this song by the David Crowder Band. When Stoney is so far ahead of me on the Camino that I can't see him, I'll play this song. Maybe it will help me to pick up my pace. If not, I know it will remind me that the Lord's river of grace is flowing through me and I just need to follow Him.



 "I Am A Seed"

Oh I've been pushed down into the ground
Oh how I've been trampled down 
So many feet on top of me
I can't help but sink, sink, sink

Oh I've been pushed down into the ground
Oh how I have been trampled down
Lord I put my trust in thee
You won't turn your back on me

Oh I am a seed
Oh I am a seed
I've been pushed down into the ground
But I will rise up a tree

Oh I can see it won't be long
Till I break free from what I was
Your river of grace flows endlessly
You won't turn your back on me

Oh I am a seed
Oh I am a seed
I've been pushed down into the ground
But I will rise up a tree

I've been burned up in so many fires
From these ashes I will rise
Lord your power has rescued me
For you I'll always sing

Oh I am a seed
Oh I am a seed
I've been pushed down into the ground
But I will rise up a tree

Oh I am a seed
Oh I am a seed
Won't stay long here in this earth
When you rain your love on me
Lord, rain your love on me 


"I will restore to you the years the locust has eaten." ~ Joel 2:25

No comments:

Post a Comment