Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Departure, Growth and Loss of Security - April 22






The Human Garden --

We are put here for a little space
that we may learn how to bear
the beams of love. – William Blake

 







"How I love people. I love how we root and bloom, how we twine around each other and reach for the light, how as far as we grow in the dark of the earth is as far as we stand in the world. How being human, we are always charged with the vibrancy of a larger presence. How the complexity of our humanity mirrors this larger presence. In truth, we mirror everything living as we climb and stumble our way up the mountain to the cliff of yes. I recognize each person I come across because I am each on any given day. What matters is whether I shun those who bear my flaws or help them up; whether I turn away when this larger presence seems too strong or keep my birth-eyes open; whether I find a way to meet what is incomprehensible and somehow draw strength from it. What matters is if we can make it to the cliff of yes and shout our secrets to the sky till Heaven is the song we choose to sing on Earth." Mark Nepo, Seven Thousand Ways To Listen-Staying Close To What Is Sacred.



As we wait at the departure gate and watch the board for our seat assignment, we are also watching people but  I'm thinking about the gardens I've planted through the years. When sissy and I were little girls, dad would let us help him plant the seeds in our backyard garden.  He did the hard work of readying the soil and we got to do the fun part. The soil in Illinois was rich and dark resembling the picture above. Here in Georgia, we have red clay soil.  I've had gardens in Mississippi, Indiana, Belgium, and Georgia. The soils were different in each place but plants thrived in each with the proper care.   


How will we grow during our time on the Camino? The picture above reminds me that like the little seed that was planted in the ground, we will lose the security of our daily routines, the comforts of our home, the ease of communicating in English and only time will tell what else. But I'm actually looking forward to the temporary losses because I want to grow in the way God has planned for me. 
So, Lord, help us to let go of our securities. You know that in our 44 years of marriage, we have spent time in the dark earth and have grown deep roots;  we have bloomed and twined around each other and reached for the light. Help us to climb and stumble our way along the Camino, up the mountains to the cliff of yes. Help us to recognize each person we come across on The Way and not to shun those who bear our flaws but to help them up. Whenever this journey seems too difficult, help us to keep our birth-eyes open; help us to find our way when we meet what is incomprehensible and somehow draw strength from it. We want to make it to the cliff of yes and shout our secrets to the sky til Heaven is the song we choose to sing on Earth, til You call us home to life everlasting. Thank you for this pilgrimage. Amen. 

Thanks again, Beth for your generosity.  Looks like we are #9&10 and there are 15 seats open. 







No comments:

Post a Comment