Sunday, April 27, 2014

Arrival in St. Jean Pied de Port - April 27, Sunday


At the Pau train station I struck up a conversation with this group and they were headed to the Camino too.  We had a 90 minute van ride together and I'll let the video take it from here:




It was a delightful ride with this group. Since they were starting at Roncesvalles 15 miles further up the Camino, we didn't expect to see them again. We said good bye and "Buen Camino!" -- the first of many that would come out of our mouths on this journey.



 

"Arrival -- This is a great moment, when you see, however distant, the goal of your wandering. The thing which has been living in your imagination suddenly becomes a part of the tangible world." ~ Freya Stark

Five days, two airplanes (one to Brussels/one to Biarritz), one rental car (Brussels to Chievres to Charleois), one taxi to Bayonne train station,  two trains (first to Lourdes and then to Pau) and one van (to St. Jean Pied de Port).  We are now officially on foot (a pied). 

Looking back at the arch we walked under as we entered St. Jean Pied de Port
 We came with Pilgrim Passports from American Pilgrims on the Camino but decided to wait in line at the Pilgrim Office (it was closed for lunch) and obtain the Carnet De Pelerin De Saint-Jacques "Credencial del Peregrino".  The reason, it is larger and there are more spaces for the stamps we would obtain along The Way. Since we will walk slower and spend more time on the Camino we thought we might need more spaces for the stamps.

Caroline issues our passports and gives us some good information.

We chose a shell from the basket which we will tie onto our backpacks to denote that we are Pilgrims. I chose a chipped shell - it seemed to call my name when I looked into the basket. I picked it up and then put it down and looked at many others but went back to it.  I'm a little rough around the edges too !


We have met pilgrims from many places already - Holland, Belgium, Brazil, Ireland, South Africa, Canada, Spain (on bicycles they will do 500 miles in 12 days), Australia, France. All are eager to begin the Camino. We are feeling pampered with a private room and bath at Gite Azkorria just a few houses up the street from the Pilgrim Office. 

This afternoon we walked around the town. It's a beautiful place. 
We climbed too many steps on the old wall to count

Still headed up
I stopped for a photo break and to catch my breath
Stoney has completed the steps and now just a short hill awaits ...


The climb warmed him up and he removed his jacket.  Good practice for the Pyrenees.






Bought Basque cheese and chorizo for our first lunch tomorrow on the Camino. On the way out in the morning, we will pick up a fresh baguette from the bakery. 



We will probably begin around 9 am after breakfast. We have a reservation at Albergue Orrison. Just being a 5 mile day, it will be difficult for Stoney. He would rather finish the first day in Roncesvalles - a 15 mile first day. Maybe he will see the wisdom in a shorter first day after arrival.

"Lord, grant that I may always allow myself to be guided by you,
always follow your plans, and accomplish your holy will.
Grant that in all things, great and small, today and all the days of my life,
I may do whatever you may require of me.
Help me to respond to the slightest prompting of your grace,
so that I may be a trustworthy instrument of your honor.
May your will be done in time and eternity--
by me, in me and through me.  Amen." ~ Saint Teresa of Avila


2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to following your journey. Mike, "Don's Brother"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Mike. I'm just now reading your note (June 17th). I am adding to the blog now that we are home. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete